Fourth International Festival-Competition of Choreographers
“BALLET – FEST”
1. Main goals of the competition:
- Discovering the most gifted choreographers with the aim to create common projects.
- International exchange of professional experience in the field of choreography and strengthening of relationships.
- Assisting young choreographers in mastering productions at theater stages.
- Promoting the development and popularization of choreographic achievements; encouraging the growth of artistic and aesthetic taste.
- Sharing creative achievements as well as expanding interaction and collaboration of choreographers from different cities and countries.
- Developing and strengthening of artistic connections among choreographers.
- Improving professional training of the ballet troupe from the Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet.
2. Terms and conditions of the choreography contest:
- In the choreography contest, performances of any style from contemporary choreography are evaluated.
- The organizing committee chooses the competition theme for each contest.
- Participants must be over 18 years of age.
- Choreographic productions should be created specially for the "BALET – FEST" contest.
- It is forbidden to use productions that have already been presented to the audience.
- The production should be performed both for the Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet actors and for other groups or dancers.
- Choreographers who pass to the second round automatically agree to hold the master classes according to the decision of the organizing committee.
- Rehearsals and performances are held according to the schedule provided by the organizers of the festival-competition (the approved order of participants' numbers is created with account of time for preparation for the next entrance) and is not subject to change.
- The number of participants in the dance is not limited.
- Phonogram for the performances can be recorded on a CD-ROM or a high-quality flash drive. It is obligatory to have copies.
- You can use projection for the performance (if it is needed according to the creative concept).
- All expenses (travel, accommodation) are borne by the participant.
- The organizing committee is obliged to take over the organization of the PR of choreographers (interviews, printed media, posters, banners, and so on).
- The Lviv National Ballet reserves the right to use the best choreographic performances in the Gala - concerts, television broadcasts, and on the Internet resources (with the preservation of authorship).
The organizing committee reserves the right to amend the provisions of the competition.
3.Subject of the competition
The subject of the fourth contest of choreographers "BALET – FEST":
- An arbitrary subject
- Grotesque (a combination of fantastic and real, beautiful and ugly, tragic and comic, life as it is and life as a caricature.)
Music content is not limited.
4. Competition program
Opening of the “Ballet – Fest” festival-competition will start with the ballet performance of the Solomiya Krushelnytska Lviv State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet and with the participation of Ballet Stars.
To participate in the competition of choreographers, you should fill in the application form till March 20, 2017. To fill in the application, follow the link – APPLICATION.
The finale of the competition will be held on the stage of the Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet.
The Gala concert 2018 will be held at 18.00 on the stage of the Lviv Opera.
To participate in the festival-contest, you should provide the organizing committee with video materials of the preliminary productions (fragment of dance). Professional and amateur video available from the direct links on the Internet (Youtube.com) is allowed. The links must be for "direct" view without the need for a pre-download.
On March 20, 2017, the selective review of submitted applications and video works will be held. After that, the jury members will select the best choreographers.
All the choreographers admitted to the final competition will be notified by the organizing committee no later than 8 weeks before the final.
Author's production of two choreographic compositions.
After the subjects of "BALLET - FEST 2018"
The dates for the stage work in a certain period will be agreed between the organizing committee and the choreographers.
The Jury consists of the famous people of choreographic art. The list of jury members is not disclosed before the start of the festival-competition.
Aftert the end of the festival, a round table where participants and jury members have the opportunity to discuss performances and exchange views will take place.
6. Criteria for evaluation
- Choreographic lexisProfessionality
Creating artistic image
Correspondence between musical material and choreographic vocabulary
The jury evaluates on the 10-point scale.
(the play right for one-act ballet on the stage of the Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet)
(the jury decides during the Gala concert, the criterion is the audience response)
Prize for the best story.
Special prize from the Art Ballet Guild:
- Contract for staging a one-act performance for children
The jury's decision is final and can not be discussed.
All choreographers who made it to the final of the festival will be awarded a finalist diploma.
DATES OF HOLDING THE CONTEST MAY BE CORRECTED!
The Solomiya Krushelnytska Lviv State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet
NGO Art Ballet Guild.